10 Best Biological Filter For Aquarium
Updated on: May 2023
Best Biological Filter For Aquarium in 2023
Marineland PF0350B Penguin Power Filter, Upto 75 Gallons, 350 GPH
MarineLand Ceramic Filter Rings 140 Count, Supports Biological aquarium Filtration, Fits C-Series And Magniflow, 140 rings (PA11484)
- CERAMIC FILTER RINGS Provides a porous surface area for the growth of beneficial bacteria
- FOR BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION Important for maintaining a clean and healthy aquatic environment
- COMPATIBILITY Fits all Marineland C-Series and Magniflow Canister FiltersQUANTITY Contains 140 ceramic filter rings
- MARINELAND FILTRATION PRODUCTS Count on Marineland brand for the most reliable technically advanced aquariums and accessories on the market
- age range description: all ranges
- included components: Marineland PA11484 Canister Filter Ceramic Rings, 140-Count
- Provide Porous Surface Area for Support of Biological Filtration
- Do not clean with soaps or abrasives and never rinse with unconditioned tap water
- Bio-rings do not require replacement
Penn Plax Cascade 600 Submersible Aquarium Filter Cleans Up to 50 Gallon Fish Tank with Physical, Chemical, and Biological Filtration, CIF3
- Fully submersible aquarium filter quietly delivers 175 gallons per hour of crystal clear water for your fresh or marine aquarium from 20 to 50 gallons in size.
- Activated carbon cartridge removes harmful chemicals, toxins, odors, discoloration, and other contaminants for your aquarium.
- Internal sponge optimizes colonization of beneficial aerobic bacteria. Large capacity aquarium filter cup allows you to choose your own filter medium.
- Pump head with adjustable and directional water flow. Cascade internal filters provide better filtration; physical, chemical and biological while also aerating water.
- Spray bar option allows you to distribute water evenly helping aerate your tank. Fish tank filter can be placed horizontally and is easily hidden.
- age range description: All Life Stages
UPETTOOLS Aquarium Filter,Ultra Quite Aquarium Air Pump Bio Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Foam Filter (Double Sponge)
- 【Multi-filtration Functions】Upettools sponge filter combines single scientific 7-layer ribbing shape sponge design, which can quickly established a bio-filter, improve purifying water quality, and the oxygen port can rotate 360 degrees without dead ends, keep your fish tank crystal clear and clean.
- 【Special Ceramic Bio Filter Media】Upettools aquarium sponge filters compatible with one container with ceramic bio filter media inside, which help to remove harmful substance and increase oxygen level in your tank, you can replace the filter media to enhance water quality.
- 【Removable Sponges 】 You can take down the sponge from the filter easily to clean or replace it. Sponge filters provide both mechanical and biological filtration, traps floating debris and protect your baby fish from being sucked up into the filter.
- 【Easy to Set Up】Simply install an airline into the unit and turn on the air pump, great way to clean and oxygenate your tanks. Don't use tap water to clean it, simply squeeze the sponges in tank water.
- 【Max Suit for 55GAL Fish Tank】Compatible with 2 suction cups, can be installed anywhere and can be easily hidden on the back wall of the aquarium. Suitable for freshwater & saltwater and all kinds of ornamental fish breeding, breeding and fish formation, especially for colorful fairy, small fish,shrimp tank, betta tank etc.
Aquarium Filter Pad - Premium True Dual Density 12" by 72" by 3/4 to 1" Aquarium Filter Media Roll for Crystal Clear Water
- CUSTOMER AND PROFESSIONALS CHOICE - Our true DUAL DENSITY FILTER ROLL is the TOP CHOICE for cut to size aquarium filter material. Our NEW 3rd generation dual layer aquarium filter pads are even thicker than before. The top layer's open fiber construction traps LARGER PARTICLES while the bottom layer's dense fiber network TRAPS FINE PARTICLES - working together to produce crystal clear water in your aquarium.
- CUT TO FIT - Made in the USA! Our FilterFirst PREMIUM BONDED FILTER ROLL can easily be cut to any size needed and WILL SAVE YOU EVEN MORE MONEY over purchasing ready-made, pre-cut filter material. Our poly filter pad is PERFECT FOR FRESHWATER OR SALTWATER aquariums as a prefilter for wet/dry filters, sumps, canister filters, aquaponics system, and much more. You will receive one 12 inch by 72 inch by 3/4 inch thick filter pad.
- HIGH QUALITY AND DURABLE - Our filter floss aquarium pad is CONSTRUCTED OF DURABLE POLYESTER FIBERS bonded by our special resin to give it EXCEPTIONAL STRENGTH. The lower section of our pad is made by taking layers of resilient fibers through a process to tighten and entangle the fibers into a dense network producing a thin firm layer, perfect for removing fine debris. Our premium pads' consistent, reliable design gives SUPERIOR FILTRATION.
- IMPROVE WATER QUALITY- Place our FilterFirst DUAL ACTION POLYFILTER PAD in flowing water with the open weave side up to trap uneaten food, waste, decaying plants, detritus, and other large and fine floating particulates from the water. Changing filter media pads regularly will INCREASE WATER QUALITY by removing solid organic compounds before they continue to break down and add additional nutrients (which can increase algae growth) to the water in your fish tank.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - Our aquarium filter media roll is completely safe for all fish and other aquatic life. FilterFirst is made without dyes.
boxtech Aquarium Filter Media, Ceramic Biological Filter Media for Marine and Freshwater Fish Tank, Two Pcs
- Ceramic bio media made of ceramic material, the three-dimensional pores formed by the spheres and spheres produce a powerful bacteria effect 10 times that of the conventional filter materials.
- Aquarium Filter Media with VAST SURFACE AREA and OPEN-FLOW POROSITY, leads to effective ammonia and nitrate removal from aquariums and Nitrate Reduction.
- With the function of strong absorbing water and not clogging, durable and won’t affect water chemistry, it is more safe for your fish.
- Excellent water flow and distribution through block, suit for FreshWater and marine SaltWater Aquarium fish tank.
- Won’t crumble, long-term placement in water does not disintegrate.
OUFISH Aquarium Bio Balls Fish Tank Pond Bio Filter Media Ceramic Biological Filtration Rings with Mesh Bag
- 【Work as a biological filter media】Aquarium bio filter is excellent interaction between air and water and gas exchange. The Bio-balls can give a nice home for beneficial bacteria where they can settle and be fed by water and oxygen. They will also promote gas exchange and increase dissolved oxygen levels. So as to form a good ecological cycle.
- 【Ceramic rings remove nitrites】Ceramic Material superior at effectively removing ammonia & nitrites that hurt fish and cause unwanted plant life. You'll be surprised how clean your tank or pool is when using this aquarium filter.
- 【Hollow in the filter material】There is a hollow in the middle of the biological column filtering medium, can provide an anaerobic environment, reducing the content of nitrates in water, and promote more healthy water quality.
- 【Mesh bag with plastic zipper】Simply toss the entire bag in and watch it go to work naturally filtering water.
- 【Works for any tank】This aquarium biological filter is great for any freshwater or saltwater fish tank or mini-reef aquarium.Easy to wash and clean.
Aquapapa Aquarium Biological Bacteria House Ceramic Rings Filter Media 6 lbs Bagged for Pond Fish Tank Canister Filter
- Porous ceramic media for efficient biological filtration.Their surface area and pores are sized to accommodate bacteria necessary for biological balance and to remove toxic ammonia and nitrite.
- Hollow design effectively distributes water flow and allows massive colonies of beneficial bacteria to grow on and inside each ring, creating an ideal “bio chemical filter”.
- Great for both fresh and saltwater aquariums
- Size of ceramic ring: 11/16" x 5/8". Size of filter media bag: 8 " x 5.5 ".
Huijukon Air Driven Sponge Filter Aquarium Filter Sponge Shrimp Fry Fish Tank Filter (Fiter)
- Air powered sponge filter, both filtration and aeration in one solution, keeps water well oxygenated, works great without noise【Fits fish tank size: 20 to 55 gallon】
- Sponge filters provide both mechanical and biological filtration - traps floating debris and protect your baby fish from being sucked up into the filter, aerobic bacteria colonize the sponge providing a bacterial substance to facilitate the nitrogen cycle
- Double 10-layer ribbed sponges design, it quickly established a bio filter, two sponges mean more surface area for beneficial bacterial colonization and faster cycling, keep your fish tank crystal clear and clean
- Easy to setup: simply install an airline into the unit and turn on the air pump, great way to clean and oxygenate your tanks; Easy to clean: simply take out the sponges, rinse and squeeze them in tank water, remember to clean the sponges weekly and replace regularly
- Easy to use: save room, comes with 2 suction cups, can be installed anywhere and easy to hide behind plants and decor; great solution for shrimp tank, betta tank, breeder tank, nano tank, turtle tank, hospital tank, goldfish, axolotls, guppies, fry, baby fish.
Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel Power Filter 200 GPH, Multi-Stage aquarium Filtration
- WITH ROTATING BIO-WHEEL: Patented Bio-Wheel technology provides excellent wet/dry biological filtration.
- MULTI-STAGE FILTRATION: Delivers mechanical, chemical and biological aquarium filtration to maintain a clean aquatic environment.
- COMPATIBILITY: Use with Marineland Rite-Size Filter Cartridges (see individual filter for sizing recommendations).
- FIVE SIZES: Available in 75 GPH, 100 GPH, 150 GPH, 200 GPH and 350 GPH sizes.
Calcium Reactors and a Better-Looking Reef Aquarium
Reef aquariums require proper water parameter maintenance and practices if marine hobbyists are to have any type of success, especially with stony corals.
Certain compounds in seawater are depleted more rapidly than others as respiration, filtration, livestock population and atmospheric ambient conditions can perform injustice to the natural balance of saltwater. Through these continuous variable fluctuations we, as conscientious marine hobbyists, are always striving to maintain stable and ideal water parameters for our livestock and their continued success. Calcium is one of the big so called big three in my book. Calcium, alkalinity and pH are arguably the three biggest impacting elements contributing to the overall success of a marine aquarium and ultimately that of the livestock maintained within. Calcium additives are constantly being added or dosed to elevate the carbonic levels in our tanks. Marine aquariums that house a large population of stony corals and invertebrates such as snails, crabs, clams and shrimp are more apt to desire higher levels of calcium in their water makeup. Hence calcium reactors enter the equation.
It is true that their are numerous products on the market that can increase and maintain stable calcium levels. Kalkwasser, liquid calcium and better yet calcium reactors all can have a profound effect of creating the high levels of calcium required to support and maintain the stringent conditions needed by many calcium relying hogs. Without the necessary calcium levels being met, growth and molting of livestock will become deprived. In trying to increase calcium levels of synthetic seawater, care must be used to deter calcium levels from going up to quickly or elevating too high. If this portrayal unfolds, problems with pH, magnesium and alkalinity are likely to unveil, possibly posing other negative reactions causing a downward spiral effecting livestock.
A calcium reactor can be one of your best allies in the defense against calcium depletion and can be a safe alternative as well. Calcium reactors provide a balance of alkalinity and calcium within a marine aquarium. Carbon dioxide is introduced into a chamber with calcium media and saltwater. An acidic solution known as carboxylic acid is formed as a result of carbon dioxide reducing the pH level and dissolving the calcium media.
Trying to maintain both alkalinity(bicarbonates) and calcium is the ultimate goal of employing the use of a calcium reactor. Natural saltwater has a pH of roughly 8.0 depending on how far from shore it is tested. By lowering the pH of saltwater by running carbon dioxide through a calcium reactor one can effectively and efficiently break down the calcium media to properly maintain optimal calcium levels in your marine aquarium. Carbonic acid is ultimately what we are looking for as a means of increasing the solubility of calcium carbonate which our corals and inverts rely upon.
A bubble counter is used to determine the amount of carbon dioxide made available to the calcium reactor. The flow rate of carbon dioxide must be constantly monitored to ensure that the maximum amount of carbon dioxide is dissolved in the solution with a minimum left unconsumed. Calcium reactors come standard with a needle valve to aid in the amount of carbon dioxide being injected into the reactor. A feed pump is also part of the reactor which controls the amount of water added to the chamber. This is very crucial as their must be a fine line between the amount of water and carbon dioxide introduced into the reactor to avoid wasting the carbon dioxide and ultimately reducing the effectiveness of the calcium reactor as a whole.
As with protein skimmers, their are different brands and styles. Some siphon water into the input of the circulation pumps. This can pose a problem due to the media inside the chamber being compacted too much and a resulting strong back pressure being formed and reducing the amount of water to the chamber. A gate or needle valve can help out this alteration process to gain the most out of your calcium reactor. Their is another style that uses peristaltic pressure that can work with any amount of pressure and various pumps. Being able to control the flow and pressure within the calcium reactor with a minimum of effort maintenance wise is the the key and the ultimate goal provided by the balance of alkalinity and calcium within the confines of your aquarium. Calcium reactors also have a unique pH probe that adjusts the rate that the calcium media dissolves in the reactor. As the pH increases above 8.0 or so, a valve will open thus allowing subsequent amounts of carbon dioxide to be introduced to lower the pH value. Once the pH value falls to desired levels, the valve will shut to decrease the amount of carbon dioxide thus avoiding a plummet in pH.
Calcium is a vital ingredient and represents just one aspect of creating and maintaining an equilibrium that is unparalleled and either replicates or exceeds that of natural seawater. Adjusting calcium levels gradually, with the utmost consideration for the other factors that move hand in hand as a result of an increase or decrease in calcium, will ensure your livestock will thrive and offer you many hours and years of enjoyment, excitement and entertainment.