Best Fish To Start A Saltwater Aquarium in 2023
API QUICK START Nitrifying Aquarium Bacteria, Allows Instant Addition of Fish and Maintains Active Biological Filter, 16-Ounce Bottle
Tetra SafeStart - Treats 70 gal - 8.45 oz, 250 ml, 8.45-Ounce (77962)
- PREVENTS NEW TANK SYNDROME: Accelerates of the establishment of healthy bacteria in newly set-up freshwater aquariums.
- REDUCES TOXINS: Helps remove dangerous levels of ammonia and nitrite.
- FAST-ACTING: Starts working immediately to provide a healthy environment for new fish without a long wait.
- USAGE: Treat when setting up a new aquarium, after a water or filter change, when adding new fish or after medication.
- included components: 1 x SafeStart Plus
- age range description: All Life Stages
Instant Ocean BIO-Spira 250 mL, Makes Marine aquariums Safe For Fish
- STARTS NEW aquariumS INSTANTLY Instant Ocean BIO-Spira accelerates the establishment of the bio-filter to prevent new tank syndrome
- FOR SALTWATER TANKS Also use after a water change when adding new fish or after medicating
- SHELF STABLE Does not require refrigeration
- TREATMENT One bottle treats up to 75 gallons of water in marine aquariums
Fritz Aquatics 80205 FritzZyme 9 Nitrifying Bacteria for Salt Water Aquariums, 32-Ounce
- The Original Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Salt Water
- Rapidly Eliminates Toxic Ammonia and Nitrite
- Allows for Safe and Immediate Introduction of Livestock
- Establishes and Maintains a Healthy Biofilter
- A Safe, Natural Approach to Water Treatment
API TAP WATER CONDITIONER Aquarium Water Conditioner 16-Ounce Bottle, White (52C)
- Contains one (1) API TAP WATER CONDITIONER Aquarium Water Conditioner 16-Ounce Bottle
- Neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and other chemicals to make tap water safe for fish
- Prevents tap water chemicals from causing gill destruction, tissue irritation and fish death
- Super strength, high concentration formula
- Use when adding or changing water and when adding new fish to freshwater and saltwater aquariums
Tetra AquaSafe Plus 16.9 Ounces, aquarium Water Conditioner And Dechlorinator (16213)
- age_range_description: all ranges
- Contains seaweed extracts with support the development of beneficial filter bacteria
- Helps to reduce aquarium pollution by strengthening the bacterial bed
- Works in seconds to neutralize chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals
- AquaSafeand#174 can be used with freshwater and marine fish
- AquaSafeand#174 is the market leading water conditioner brand in the US and has been protecting fish for over 30 years
Luigi's Aquarium/Fish Tank Siphon and Gravel Cleaner - A Hand Syphon Pump to Drain and Replace Your Water in Minutes!
- ✔️️ Perfect For Regular Water Changes - No Messy drips, and a sturdy one way valve to improve suction. You can clear 30L in about 5 minutes.
- ✔️️ Keep your Aquarium Clean - Filter through the gravel using the attachment to suck up food, fish waste and toxins that build up in your tank.
- ✔️️ Fish and invertebrate Safe - Use The attached filter to prevent sucking up small fish and shrimps.
- ✔️️ Great Value - A lot of fish accessories are overpriced. This simple, robust product does the job of a much more expensive siphon at a fraction of the cost.
- ✔️️ 100% Money Back Guarantee - If you're not happy for any reason just let us know and we'll give you an instant refund. No questions asked!
Seachem Prime Fresh and Saltwater Conditioner - Chemical Remover and Detoxifier 500 ml
- POWERFUL TREATMENT: Seachem Prime is a complete and concentrated conditioner for both freshwater and saltwater fish tanks, working hard to remove chlorine and chloramine.
- REMOVER: Seachem Prime immediately and permanently removes chlorine and chloramine, successfully allowing the bio filter to remove ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate while they are detoxified for 48 hours.
- DETOXIFIER: Seachem Prime effectively detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, and heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels, providing a ideal environment for your betta, tetra, or other fish.
- USE: Use 1 capful (5 mL) of Seachem Prime for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of new or replacement water. For best results, add Seachem Prime to new water first. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. For smaller volumes, use 2 drops per gallon.
- SAFETY: In case of an emergency, the 5x dose of Seachem Prime may be used for both ammonia and nitrite. Use a ½ dose if the water temperature is > 30°C (86°F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low.
IOAOI Protein Skimmers for Saltwater Aquariums up to 210 Gallons Fish Tank Cast Acrylic Protein Skimmer Ultra Quiet Needle Pinwheel DC Pump 20W for Big Tank Water Flow and Air Flow Adjustable
- The IOAOI protein skimmer is equipped with an LED controller. The operation and the status could been seen easily. The water flow of the pump could be adjusted as required. And there are 20 gears, the power consumption of which is from 1W to 20W.
- Patented needle shaped diversion plate helps to generate much richer bubbles. Better reaction. And it could prevent the bubbles/foam from returning, and could also provide long contact time between water and air, which makes the protein skimmer obtain better performance.
- 20W pinwheel DC water pump adopts advanced frequency conversion technology, high efficiency and energy saving. Ultra quiet. Multi-gear adjustment.
- Constructed of high-quality cast acrylic to guarantee long life. For in sump use only.
- Foot Print/Height: 9*6.9/20 in. Recommended sump water depth: 7" to 9".
Seachem Stability Fish Tank Stabilizer - For Freshwater and Marine Aquariums 500 ml
- TANK STABILIZATION: Seachem Stability will rapidly and safely establish the aquarium biofilter in freshwater and marine systems, thereby preventing the #1 cause of fish death: "new tank syndrome".
- TREATMENT: Stability is formulated specifically for the aquarium and contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
- BACTERIA GROWTH: The necessary conditions for the growth of Stability's bacteria strains encompass a very broad range. When other bacteria begin to die off (usually from high organic loads caused by the unknown death of an organism), Stability simply becomes more effective.
- USE: Shake Seachem Stability well before use and turn off UV/ozone filter. Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 40 L (10 US gallons) on the first day with a new aquarium. Then use 1 capful for each 80 L (20 US gallons) daily for 7 days. Fish and other aquatic species may be introduced at any time as long as dosage is maintained for 7 days.
- SAFE: The bacteria employed by Stability are non-sulfur fixing and will not produce toxic hydrogen sulfide. Stability is completely harmless to all aquatic organisms as well as aquatic plants, thus there is no danger of overuse.
Setting Up a Basic Saltwater Aquarium
If you are interested in setting up a saltwater aquarium here is a basic list of materials you should have. However, in order to have a health aquarium things such as a protein skimmer should be invested in.
1. Glass aqarium.
The brand or size is totally up to your preference. Petco sells cheap, basic aquariums. You can also get an all-in-one aquarium such as the Nano-Cube. Although these are more convienent for beginners to start, you will soon be wanting to upgrade everything that came with it. Also the water volume effects the difficulty of keeping a saltwater aquarium. The bigger the volume of water, the easier it is to keep the water chemistry constant. A bigger tank will cost more money so keep that in mind also. Weight is also an issue when choosing a tank. Calculate the weight of your tank by adding the weight of the rock, water (8-9 lbs a gallon), and the stand. Make sure that where ever you plan on putting the tank it will be fine.
2. Live Rock
The term live rock refers to the rock having organisms living on it. This rock will generally run around $8 a pound. You probably want around 1.5 lbs of live rock a gallon. A easy way to save money is to buy half live rock and half "dry" rock. The dry rock will be much cheaper and will eventually become live in your aquarium. More rock also equals more stable water parameters as the organisms that live on the rock help clean the water. Be sure to leave enough room for coral and fish.
Filtration for a beginners tank can be very basic. That said it will then require more frequent water changes to keep the water parameters at acceptable levels. I would recommend just getting a hang on the back filter that runs carbon. Change the carbon according to its instructions. You can run phosphate remover also. Both of these will help keep algae in check. However for a basic set up such as this you will need to do pretty frequent water changes. Change 10-15% of the water once a week for a clean tank.
Lighting can range from very basic to very advanced, and therefore very expensive. It you are going to only keep fish you only need a floresent or compact florescent fixture. Mushrooms will do fine under a compact florescent fixture. However, if you want coral go with a T-5 fixture with individual reflectors or metal halides. Neither will be cheap, but lighting is very important for corals. Do not put a metal halide over a small tank because it can raise the temperature too much while it is running. A T-5 fixture puts out much less heat, but does not penetrate as well in deep tanks.
The water in an aquarium is the most important part! Never use tap water in your aquarium. Either invest in a several stage reverse osmosis unit or buy your water from an aquarium store. Water that is used in your tank should have a TDS of 0 to prevent algae blooms. If you have your own reverse osmosis unit be sure to regularly check the TDS. Make sure that you use a reef salt mix such as Seachem when you mix your own salt.
Now you can get creative. Before buying livestock always do your research first. Make sure that you have enough room in your tank and the proper parameters. Fish need a certain amount of room, and not all fish will get along with eachother. Corals need specific lighting, water parameters, and feeding. Not all inverts are reef safe. Some crabs starfish will even eat your fish! If you don't pick anything else up from this article remember this; never get a anenome in a tank under 40 gallons. NEVER. It will most likely die, decay extremely quickly, and cause everything else in your tank to die. Believe me I know from experience. If you have a tank that is 40+ gallons then make sure you let it mature for at least a year and that you can keep it stable.
Where can I find all this?
Local aquarium store
There will be more articles coming soon to go into more depth on setting up and running saltwater aquariums.